In Denmark, you can apply to become an EVS-volunteer through the EVS-program or an ICYE-volunteer through the ICYE-program:
EVS – European Volunteer Service – is a program financed by EU where you can become a volunteer in Europe for 2-12 months. As an EVS-volunteer in Denmark, you can work with different projects dealing with education, children, animals and so on. As an EVS-volunteer you live and work with the locals, which bring you closer to the Danish lifestyles.
If you apply for more than one project, make sure to write a specific application for each project. Read more about the procedure for applying.
If you want to go to Denmark on a EVS-program, we will recommend you to read our National Profile EVS which is a very useful and fun guide for you. It consists of information about Denmark, the Danes, its culture, language and traditions. Besides this, it also inform you about the EVS-program and the preparations.
The ICYE-program is the long-term program where you can work for 6 or 12 months in countries all over the world. The program gives you the best prerequisites to get to know the Danish culture, language and people, and you can develop your social and work skills by teaching at a Danish Efterskole, taking care of children or planning different activities. As an ICYE-volunteer you live and work with the locals, which bring you closer to the Danish lifestyles.
If you choose to travel via the ICYE-program, you need to contact ICYE in your country, and they will guide you through the proces and prepare you for your journey.
You can find the contact information of ICYE in your country on ICYE’s international website.
Take a look at the list of the Danish projects.
If you want to go to Denmark on a ICYE-program, we will recommend you to read our National Profile ICYE which is a very useful and fun guide for you. It consists of information about Denmark, the Danes, its culture, language and traditions. Besides this, it also inform you about the EVS-program and the preparations.
When you need to decide if Denmark is a country you want to live and work in, it is helpful to know something about the country. In the following you can read 10 fun facts about Denmark which give a more fun and different image of Denmark. It will also be helpful if you read more about Denmark and what things you should know before choosing this country.
- Fun fact #1: Danes really like pickled herring
- Fun fact #2: Danes enjoy salty licorice with a glas of milk
- Fun fact #3: Danes have a strong sense of irony
- Fun fact #4: The UN World Happiness Report has rated Danes as the happiest people on earth two years in a row
- Fun fact #5: Danes have a special word “hygge” for that cozy feeling of togetherness. It means relaxing in great company
- Fun fact #6: Danish pastry is actually called “wienerbrød” or “Viennese bread” in Denmark
- Fun fact #7: The Danish language has no word for “please”
- Fun fact #8: When crossing the road Danes typically wait for the traffic signals to change to “go”. Even if the road is clear!
- Fun fact #9: Danes eat an average of 42 sausages a year
- Fun fact #10: LEGO is actually Danish!