Description of the project
An “Efterskole” is a unique schooling concept found only in Denmark. It is a kind of a private boarding school with government grants that provides Secondary School education for young people, predominately between the ages of 14-17. The school is privately run, and this means that there is an annual fee for parents to send their child/children to the school, but families may apply for government funding depending on their financial status.
Vandel Efterskole is known for its high educational standards and pedagogical practices, but also the proven ability to develop our students both socially and academically. The majority of students continue into higher education.
The foundations of the community at the school are built upon openness, friendliness, tolerance and shared responsibility. Participation in this mini-society aims to build relationships as well as further awareness and understanding of others.
Vandel puts emphasis on quality education. Everybody should be able to acquire new skills and develop academically within a challenging learning environment.
- over the age of 20
- out-going, sociable and has a sense of humor
- motivation, adaptability and flexibility are key factors
- natural interest in working with children
- an interest in foreign languages
- previous teaching experience is recommended
- participation in sports or coaching experience would also be beneficial
- Danish law requires anyone working with children under the age of 16 to have a clean criminal record and have no previous convictions where children are involved
Volunteering at the project
- volunteers will be living at the school
- good opportunity to participate in all of the school’s activities during the week and at weekends
- volunteers are expected to quickly develop a personal, yet professional relationship to the students
- individual timetables will offer volunteers the chance to use all of their skills, linguistically, artistically, and socially
- the volunteer will get the opportunity to contribute as both a language assistant and as a guest teacher
- volunteers will be offered the same learning possibilities of any trainee teacher with regards to pedagogy and didactics
- volunteers will be provided with constant support and advice
- no smoking is allowed on school grounds and alcohol is not permitted on the premises
- interviews will take place in English in person or via Skype
Grindstedvej 37, 7184 Vandel
Next volunteer period: 1st August 2021 – 30 June 2022
Deadline for application: 1st March 2021
Number of volunteers: 2
Valid Age: 20+
PIC number: 917918955
Send your application to [email protected]
Read about more experiences at Vandel Efterskole at our icye inspiration website here or watch the video below about “efterskole”