Description of the project
The Marine Biological Research Centre in Kerteminde is part of the Department of Biology, University of Southern Denmark. Kerteminde is on the island Fyn, an island in the middle of Denmark. Any other part of the country is within easy reach by public transport.
The centre is internationally known and focuses on all aspects of marine research, both in the field and in the lab. The center has projects with focus on sponges, jellyfish, blue mussels and other filter feeding animals; as well as a bioacoustics labs where we house grey seals, cormorants and harbour porpoises.
- people with a biology or psychology background, or people with animal experience.
- all interested person will be openly considered with a special focus on motivation for learning and strong work ethic
Volunteering at the project
- assisting in daily research sessions and training sessions with the 2 grey seals, 2 cormorants, and 2 turtles
- assisting in the daily animal care and husbandry of the animals
- cleaning and maintenance of the animal areas and facilities
- the volunteers will be put through a training regime in learning animal behavior, behavior modification, and animal training
- the volunteers will also learn about the bioacoustics, psychophysics, and testing paradigms
- as a volunteer on this project, you will be living with a Danish host family.
Marine Biological Research Centre, SDU
Hindsholmvej 11, 5300 Kerteminde
Website: http://www.sdu.dk/Om_SDU/Institutter_centre/ I_Biologi/Forskning/Feltstationer/Marinbiologisk +Forskningscenter
PIC number: 999904616
Next volunteer period: 15th of August 2019. – 14th of August 2020.
Deadline for application: 2nd of January 2019.
Number of volunteers: 2