Description of the project
The school is located in Silkeborg in the middle of Jutland. The students come from different school districts around Silkeborg.
Kornmod Realskole is a private school offering primary and secondary education for children from the age of 6 to 17. Starting in Kindergarten/pre-school up until 9th grade and an optional 10th grade. They furthermore have a SFO (after school programme) that takes care of the younger children from they get off school until they get picked up by their parents.
Kornmod Realskole values a high academic standard in all subjects. They teach all of the traditional Danish subjects but also have creative maths, choir, and computer skills. There are more language lessons than traditional schools and thus offer more lessons in English and German as well as optional French from 7th grade.
The goal with a volunteer is to create multiple situations where English is the natural choice of communication for everyone.
The school currently has 640 pupils, 50 teachers, 2 pre-school teachers and 9 leisure-time teachers taking care of the younger students in the after school programme.
Silkeborg is situated in the middle of Jutland and lies beautifully surrounded by lakes and forests. Thus outdoor life and nature-activities play a big part in many peoples life here. Silkeborg is home to somewhat 50.000 citizens and Kornmod Realskole is situated in the very centre of the town and is thus close to a variety of shops, museums, cafes etc. 40 minutes drive or train ride from Silkeborg lies Denmarks second biggest city, Aarhus. Here you will find all the facilities of the big cities. The train station lies some 300 metres from Kornmod Realskole. Silkeborg has several sport studios and the list of activities is almost endless. Normal fitness, trial running, ice skating and much more.
- open-minded towards different activities
- reliable and on time
- polite and willing to meet both staff, pupils and parents with kindness and openess
- enjoy working with children and young people and experience in this field is a plus
- Danish law requires that anyone working with children under the age of 16 must have a clean criminal record and no previous convictions involving children
Volunteering at Kornmod Realskole
- the volunteer will be a teacher’s assistant in English lessons
- the volunteer will also have the opportunity to participate in other lessons such as sports lessons, swimming lessons, art lessons, music lessons, German lessons, and drama lessons depending on interest and skills
- the volunteer may participate in the after school activities and excursions
- the volunteer’s work week will not exceed 30 hours
- the volunteer will live with a host family in the area
- The school will interview 5 candidates for the volunteer position
- The candidates will be chosen based on their English qualifications and motivation
- Interviews will be conducted over Skype in English
PIC number: 946721941
EI reference number: N/A
Next volunteer period: 1 October 2019 – 30 June 2020
Deadline for application: 20th March 2019
Number of volunteers: 2
Watch this short film made by former volunteers at Kornmod Realskole, Daniel and Wiebke.