Description of the project
The project, Hertha, is a living community for mentally handicapped situated in a small village, Herskind, consisting of with families and singles, who integrate themselves into the lives and rhythm of the handicapped. It is integration, where normal people integrate into the lives of handicapped.
The living community consists of 2 houses with 19 mentally handicapped residents. The residents have different psychological and mental restrictions and some of them are also physically impaired, but all of them are able to walk. The level of function varies from nearly “normal” to few without any verbal language. Most are aged 18-30 years, but few are older.
In the village there are different workshops which are used in the project: Bakery, biodynamic market garden, biodynamic farm, dairy, weave shed, kitchen and laundry where the mentally handicapped work. In the workshops we produce products spent by the residents in the village and furthermore the bakery and dairy produce products to be sold in ecological shops to kindergartens and other institutions in the area.
- punctual – the volunteer must show up on time to the agreed activities
- tolerant, open, extrovert who can take part in our daily life with a positive attitude
- calm personality, flexible and accepting of adjustments to plans since changes can occur with short warning
Volunteering at the project
- the volunteer will live at the project
- Herskind is a small but quite vivid community, there is a small grocery, a community house where cultural and social events are celebrated, a sports club, were they play soccer, handball and badminton and where the volunteer can join the activities.
- the pedagogy at the project uses the Rudolf Steiner principles – these will not be taught explicitly, but are practiced
- supervision and instructions will be provided by pedagogues specialised in working with mentally handicapped
- the main activity for the volunteer will be to take part in the workshops according to interests and specific knowledge and experiences
- if the volunteer has a driving license, he/she will be in charge of being a chauffeur to different activities
- being able to play an instrument would be relevant, but not essential
- volunteers will only work with the less handicapped and challenging handicapped
Read more about the project on the EVS-database.
PIC number: 944757982
EI reference number: 2013-DK-28
Next volunteer period: 1st March 2018 – 1st March 2019
Deadline for application: 10th September 2017
Number of volunteers: 2
EVS at Hertha
Watch the video the EVS volunteers have made of their daily life in Hertha.
Are you our next volunteer?